Baked Cheesecake with Kissel
|Quark/Low fat soft white cheese||1 1⁄2 Pound (675 Gram /3 Cups)|
|Eggs||4 , separated|
|Superfine caster sugar||5 Ounce (150 Gram / 2/3 Cup)|
|Cornflour||45 Milliliter (3 Tablespoon, Cornstarch)|
|Sour cream||1⁄4 Pint (150 Milliliter/ 2/3 Cup)|
|Lemon||1⁄2 , juiced and zest finely grated|
|Vanilla essence||1 Teaspoon|
|Fresh mint sprigs||4 (For Decoration)|
|Plain flour||8 Ounce (225 Gram / 2 Cups, All Purpose)|
|Butter||4 Ounce, diced (115 Gram / 1/2 Cup)|
|Superfine caster sugar||15 Milliliter (1 Tablespoon)|
|Lemon||1⁄2 , rind finely grated|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|Berries||1 Pound, prepared to make 4 1/2 cup (450 Gram, Red Colored)|
|Superfine caster sugar||2 Ounce (50 Gram, 1/4 Cup)|
|Water||4 Fluid Ounce (120 Milliliter /1/2 Cup)|
|Arrowroot||15 Milliliter (1 Tablespoon)|
1. To make the pastry, sift the flour into a large mixing bowl. Rub or cut in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar and lemon rind, then add the beaten egg and mix to a dough. Wrap in clear film (plastic wrap) and chill for 30 minutes.
2. Roll out the pastry and use to line a 25cm/10in loose-based fluted flan tin (quiche pan). Chill for 1 hour.
3. Place the quark or soft white cheese in a fine sieve set over a bowl and leave to drain for 1 hour.
4. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/ Gas 6. Prick the base of the chilled pastry case all over with a fork, fill it with crumpled foil and bake for about 5 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for a further 5 minutes. Remove the pastry case from the oven and lower the oven temperature to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4.
5. Put the drained quark or soft cheese in a bowl with the egg yolks and caster sugar and mix together.
6. Blend the cornflour in a cup with a little of the sour cream, then add to the cheese mixture along with the remaining sour cream, the lemon rind and juice and vanilla essence. Mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon.
7. Whisk the egg whites in a grease-free bowl until stiff, then fold into the cheese mixture, one-third at a time. Pour the filling into the pastry case and bake for 1-1 1/4 hours, or until golden and firm. Switch off the oven and leave the door slightly ajar. Let the cheesecake cool down in the oven, then remove it and chill for 2 hours.
8. To make the kissel, put the prepared fruit, caster sugar and water into a pan and cook over a low heat until the sugar dissolves and the juices begin to run. Remove the fruit with a slotted spoon and put in a bowl. Set aside. Retain the fruit juices in the pan.
9. Mix the arrowroot with a little cold water in a cup. Stir the mixture into the reserved fruit juices in the pan and bring to the boil, stirring constantly. Return the fruit to the pan, mix well, then allow to cool.
10. Serve the well-chilled cheesecake in slices, spooning a little of the kissel over each portion. Decorate with sprigs of mint and fresh berries.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4514 Calories from Fat 1285
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 220 g338.1%
Saturated Fat 117.8 g589.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1549.2 mg516.4%
Sodium 1460.7 mg60.9%
Total Carbohydrates 528 g176.1%
Dietary Fiber 27.4 g109.6%
Sugars 275.3 g
Protein 115 g230%
Vitamin A 102.1% Vitamin C 215.9%
Calcium 166.9% Iron 38.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet