A Cheeseburger is a bread bun with hamburger patty, processed cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion and mayonnaise. The cheese was traditionally placed just above the patty but there can be many variations in that.
Its place of origin is United States and it comes under the category of main course.
Ingredients & Preparation
Bread bun, hamburger patty (Grounded lean beef, steak sauce, Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper), Processed cheese (it may be Cheddar, Mozzarella or Swiss cheese which is generally sliced), Lettuce Leaf, Sliced Tomato, Sliced Onion, and Mayonnaise Spread. It is usually served hot.
A Cheeseburger can have more than one slice of processed cheese and hamburger patties. Cheeseburgers are generally served with French fries, ketchup and cold drinks in many fast food outlets.
Health and Nutrition Facts
Serving size – 1 piece
Approximate value per serving (Calories - 600 cal, Fat – 20 g, Carbohydrates – 28 g, Protein – 18 g, Saturated Fat – 9 gm, Cholesterol – 50 mg, Sodium – 950 mg)
Cheeseburger is - i) High in saturated Fat, ii) High in cholesterol, and iii) High in sodium.
A nutritionally beneficial point about cheeseburger is that it contains no sugar.
Who Should Avoid Cheeseburger?
People belonging to categories listed below should avoid the cheeseburger:
i. Fatty and obese people – as it is high in saturated fats
ii. Diabetic people – as it is high in fats and cholesterol
iii. Weight watchers – as it is high in saturated fats
iv. People suffering from hypertension – as it is high in sodium
v. People having risk of heart attack – as it is high in cholesterol
vi. People with sedentary life style
vii. Pregnant women
Who can have Cheeseburger?
i. People engaged in Athletics and out door Sports
ii. People having high calorie requirement due to high body activity.
Healthy Burger Alternatives: There are some healthy alternatives to cheeseburgers which are given below:
1. Tuna Burger: Tuna fish is a nutrient rich food which provides omega- 3-fattyacids. Our body can’t synthesize omega- 3-fattyacids but vital for the body.
2. Black bean veggie Burger: Black beans are rich in fiber and protein. Digestive fiber keeps the digestive system healthy.
3. Portobello Burger: A Portobello mushroom has many benefits. It provides the selenium to the body which is a vital micronutrient. It is also low in calories.
4. Buffalo or Bison Burger: Buffalo and Bison meat is protein rich and lean. They both contain lower calories as compared to beef or pork.
5. Vegetable Burger: All vegetables are a good source of various vitamins and minerals which are essential for our body. They are also rich in fiber which aids in digestion process.