How to Make Homemade Goat Cheese
|For the goat cheese|
|Goat milk||1 Liter|
|Lemon juice/Vinegar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|For balsamic glaze|
|Vidalia onions||1 Medium, thinly sliced|
|Balsamic vinegar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||2 Tablespoon|
|Bread slices||8 , grilled (crusty)|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon (canola or vegetable oil)|
1. Line a colander, with triple layer of thick paper towels, cheesecloth or a clean dishtowel.
2. In a heavy bottomed pot, gently and slowly heat goats milk until it reaches 180-185 F, stirring occasionally.
3. Once the milk reach 180 – 185 F turn off the heat, stir in the lemon or vinegar and allow to rest for 20 minutes.
4. In the prepared colander, slowly pour in the milk mixture and allow it to drain for 2 hours, squeeze out any excess moisture occasionally.
5. On clean working surface, sprinkle alt and roll the milk mixture into a log and cover with plastic, refrigerate until needed.
6. In a pan, heat olive oil and toss the onions and add in salt and pepper for few minutes.
7. Add in the balsamic vinegar and sugar, allow to cook until the onions have darkened and the vinegar has reduced and thickened.
8. Place a small dollop of glazed onions on bread slices and top with goat cheese.
9. Serve immediately as desired..
To make goat cheese use all the sterilized equipments.
You and rub the toasted bread slices with garlic clove if desired.
Calories 480 Calories from Fat 139
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 16 g24.4%
Saturated Fat 7.6 g38.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 27.5 mg9.2%
Sodium 517.7 mg21.6%
Total Carbohydrates 70 g23.3%
Dietary Fiber 4.5 g17.9%
Sugars 31 g
Protein 16 g33%
Vitamin A 10% Vitamin C 58.8%
Calcium 44% Iron 9.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet