Cranberry Cream Cheese Torte
|For cranberry filling|
|Cranberries||12 Ounce (1 Package, Fresh Or Frozen)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Grated lemon peel||1 Teaspoon|
|Cornstarch||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|All-purpose flour||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Eggs||5 Large, separated|
|Sugar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|For cream-cheese filling|
|Cream cheese||8 Ounce, softened (1 Package)|
|Butter/Margarine||3 Tablespoon, softened|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Vanilla extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Light rum||2 Tablespoon|
1) In a saucepan, place together cranberries, 1 cup sugar, water and 1 teaspoon lemon peel.
2) Heat the cranberry mixture to a boil.
3) Simmer for 10 minutes and leave aside to cool.
4) In a bowl, using a beater, beat together cheese, butter or margarine, sugar, lemon juice and peel, flavouring and candied peel until smooth.
5) Lightly grease the inside of 15 1/2-by-10 1/2-by-1-inch jelly-roll pan and line with waxed paper.
6) In a bowl, blend together cornstarch and flour until well mixed.
7) In a mixer bowl, using a beater, beat the egg whites and salt until soft peaks forms.
8) While still beating, slowly mix in 1/3 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time; beat until stiff peaks form.
9)) Preheat the oven to 375F.
10) In a small mixer bowl, using the same beaters, beat egg yolks and 1 teaspoon vanilla until thick and lemon-colored.
11) Stream the yolk mixture over whites and gently fold in the cornstarch mixture, using rubber spatula, until well mixed.
12) Smear the batter evenly in prepared pan.
14) Bake in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes, or until top is golden.
15) Remove from the oven and allow to cool in pan over wire rack for 30 minutes.
16) Take the cake out from the pan, peel and discard waxed paper.
17) Slice the cake into four rectangles of 10-by-3 3/4-inch.
18) Apply each cake layer with rum using brush.
19) Arrange in layers, rum side up, over a serving platter; smear with half of Cream-Cheese Filling.
20) Layer with another cake layer and spread with half of Cranberry Filling.
21) Repeat with remaining cake layers and fillings.
22) Garnish with candied lemon peel if desired and serve.