Puffy Cheese Croutons
|Butter||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Aged cheddar cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs), shredded|
|French bread||4 , cut into bite size pieces|
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 400 degrees.
2) In the top section of a double boiler placed over hot, but not boiling, water, melt the butter. Alternatively, a small saucepan placed over very low heat can also be used here.
3) Add the milk and then the cheese. Stir constantly till the cheese has melted.
4) Take the mixture off the heat.
5) Beat the egg whites till they are stiff but not dry.
6) Into the cheese mixture, gently fold the egg whites.
7) Into the egg-cheese mixture, dip the bread cubes and place them on an ungreased baking sheet.
8) Bake in the preheated oven for about 10 to 15 minutes, till they are have browned slightly.
9) Serve or use the croutons as and when preferred. These make an excellent addition to soups and salads.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1465 Calories from Fat 842
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 95 g146.4%
Saturated Fat 55.5 g277.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 255.4 mg85.1%
Sodium 2120.4 mg88.3%
Total Carbohydrates 92 g30.5%
Dietary Fiber 3.8 g15.4%
Sugars 5.3 g
Protein 26 g52.2%
Vitamin A 28.4% Vitamin C 0.53%
Calcium 138.4% Iron 32.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet