|Pigs head/Calf's head||1|
|Onion||1 Large, quartered|
|Cayenne pepper||1 Teaspoon|
1. Clean the pig's or calf's head, discard the snout. Keep aside the tongue and brains.
2. Scrub the mixture to clean.
3. In a kettle place the heat and cover with water.
4. Stuck cloves in onion. Add it to the kettle along with tongue.
5. In a cheesecloth add celery, parsley, carrot, bay leaf and peppercorns. Tie the cloth and keep in kettle.
6. Add salt And stir to mix.
7. Boil the mixture and skim the scum. Simmer slowly about 4 hours until meat is cooked.
8. Let the tongue cook for 1 1/2 hours in water and then remove it.
9. Keep the head in a large platter.
10. Strain the liquid and reserve in a kettle.
11. Discard rind from head.
12. Chop meat and tongue.
13. Remove skin and excess tissue from the end. Trim it into small pieces.
14. Keep in a large bowl. Alternately, you can also put meat through food chopper.
15. In a pan take little of the cooking liquid and add brains in it. Cook covered over simmering heat for 15 minutes.
16. Take out, drain and add to meat and tongue.
17. Sprinkle cayenne, sage and nutmeg over it. Mix gently.
18. In a 9x5x3" loaf pan or mold, pack the mixture and press firmly.
19. Pour ½ cup lukewarm cooking liquid over it.
20. Seal the pan or mold. Put weight on it.
21. Freeze for 48 hours before using.
22. Serve sliced.