Cheese And Walnut Savouries
|For cheese pastry|
|Flour||4 Ounce (100 gram)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Soft margarine||2 Ounce (tub type)|
|Cheddar cheese||2 1⁄2 Ounce, finely grated (65 gram)|
|Water||15 Milliliter (1 tablespoon)|
|Egg white||1 , beaten|
|Walnuts||1⁄2 Ounce, finely chopped (15 gram)|
|Beaten egg/Milk||1 Tablespoon (for glaze)|
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F or Gas Mark 5
2. Grease baking sheets
3. Sift the flour, seasonings into a large bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and the rest of the pastry ingredients and mix well with a wooden spoon to make soft dough
4. Roll the dough out on a floured surface to make a thin rectangular sheet that is about 33 x 18 cm/13 x 7 inches in size.
5. Cut the sheet lengthwise and then brush one half of the dough with the beaten egg white
6. Sprinkle the walnuts on top of the egg white and place the rest of the dough on top. Press down lightly and brush over with the egg yolk.
7. Cut into fingers that are about 2.5 cm/1 inch wide. Place in a hot oven and bake for 15-20 minutes till done.
8. Cool on a wire rack. These can be frozen for later use by packing them in a rigid container. Ensure that the layers are separated by foil.
9. Serve the rolls hot
10. Remove the frozen bars and place on a serving dish and thaw till they reach room temperature.