|Flour||1⁄2 Pound (225g)|
|Salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon (2.5 ml)|
|Butter||2 Ounce (50g)|
|Chicken stock cube||1 , crumbled|
|Cheddar cheese||4 Ounce, grated (100 g)|
|Parmesan cheese||2 Ounce, grated (50 g)|
|Water||30 Milliliter (2 tablespoons)|
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F or Gas Mark 6
2. Prepare a baking tray for the straws
3. In a large bowl, tip in eth flour, salt and pepper and mix well
4. Add the butter pieces and the stock cubes and rub this into the flour with your fingertips to make a flour mixture that resembles breadcrumbs
5. Add the cheese to the mixture along with the egg yolks and mix well
6. Add enough water to the flour mixture to make pliable dough and roll it out till it is smooth. Make a thin square or rectangle and then cut the mixture into straws measuring about 5 mm/1/4 inch wide and 6.5 cm/2 1/2 inches long.
7. Cut out the straws and then roll out the trimmings and cut into 6 to 8 circles about 7.5 cm/3 inches in diameter. Use a cutter to remove the centers with a 5 cm/2 inch cutter to form rings.
8. Put the straws and rings on the prepared baking sheet and bake in the hot oven for 10 minutes.
9. Cool quickly. These can be frozen quite easily at this stage and then packed in a rigid container by separating them with a foil paper. Seal, label and then freeze
10. Serve hot
11. If removing from the freezer before serving, reheat by baking in a hot oven for 10 minutes.