Baked Cheese And Corn Fondue
|White bread loaf||1 (Unsliced)|
|Butter||6 Tablespoon, melted|
|Fresh corn on cob kernels||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Pimientos||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), finely chopped|
|Finely chopped green chillies||2 Tablespoon|
|Cheddar cheese||8 Ounce, grated|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Mustard powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|For cheese sauce|
|All purpose flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Dry mustard||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Milk/Light cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sharp cheddar cheese||4 Ounce, grated (1 Cup)|
1. Slice the breadloaf lengthwise into 4 nos, each being 1/4 inch thick. Trim the crust and prepare 5 decorative windows, 1/4 inch from top edge on each slice.
2. Grate the remaining bread to make breadcrumbs and use 2 1/4 cups from it. Cling wrap and keep aside.
3. Butter the interiors of an 8 inch springform pan using 4 tablespoons melted butter. Apply melted butter on the bread slices. Arrange these slices inside the pan making sure that the "windows" are at the top edge of the pan.
4. Fold a 26 inch long waxpaper sheet lengthwise into three parts. Lightly brush one side with butter. Line the springform pan with the buttered side inside and the remaining wax paper around the exterior of the pan. Ensure that while doing this you leave a 2 inch rim extending above the pan. Secure wax paper with a piece of string and refrigerate till ready to use.
5. In 2 large bowls, seperate the egg yolks and egg whites. Place egg white bowl at room temperature for about an hour. At the same time, remove bread-lined springform pan from refrigerator and allow to at room temperature.
6. In a 3-quart saucepan, boil milk. Remove from flame. Add bread crumbs, fresh corn kernels, remaining butter, mustard powder, salt, pepper, pimiento, chilies and grated cheese. Mix well and keep aside.
7. Using a electric mixer, beat egg yolks till it turns light and fluffy. Add the prepared corn and breadcrumb mixture to this and stir well.
8. Beat egg whites to "stiff peak" consistency and gently fold in one-third of whites into the corn mixture. Mix well. Now carefully fold in the remaining whites. Gently transfer this mixture to the springform pan.
9. Preheat oven to 350F (175C) for 10 minutes.Place the springform pan in the preheated oven and bake for 50 minutes or until puffed and golden-brown in colour. Keep aside to cool. Do note that post baking the center may be slightly soft.
10. While the fondue is getting baked, prepare Cheese sauce. In a small saucepan, add butter and melt on a low flame till golden in colour. Ensure it doesnt brown. Remove from heat.
11. To this melted butter, add flour, mustard, salt and pepper and stir until smooth. Add milk or light cream, in small quantities, ensuring that you stir after each addition. Return to heat.
12. Bring the mixture to boil over medium heat, while stirring continuously. Reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes. Add grated cheese and stir till cheese melts.
13. Tranfer to a bowl, clingwrap and make gashes on clingwrap using a knife (the mixture will be still hot, so the excess steam created has to escape). Keep aside.
14. Once the fondue has cooled. remove the wax paper gently, loosen springform pan sides using a spatula and remove the fondue along with the bottom springform ring.Let it stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
15. Place the prepared fondue on serving platter and cut into wedges.
16. Immediately serve each wedge in individual 10 inch dinner plates with warm Cheese sauce.
While preparing cheese sauce, use a whisk to stir in flour to the melted butter. This makes stirring easy. Also, it reduces chances of lump formation when milk is added to the flour-butter mixture.
If Cheese sauce gets lumpy or thick because of cooling down for a longer duration, you can thin it using warm milk or light cream in small quantities. In such cases, add warm milk/ light cream and whisk well.