Baked Swiss Fondue
|Butter/Margarine||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs), softened|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), crushed|
|Dry mustard||1 Teaspoon|
|Italian bread/French bread||10 Ounce (1 Loaf)|
|Natural swiss cheese||3⁄4 Pound, grated (3 Cups)|
|Onion||3 Tablespoon, grated|
|All-purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Milk||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Dry white wine||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Eggs||3 , beaten|
1. In a small mixing bowl, beat 1/3 cup butter with the garlic and 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard until creamy and well blended.
2. Cut the ends of butter and slice bread into ¼ inch thick slices.
3. Apply the seasoned butter on one side of each bread slice.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
5. In a heavy, earthenware, 2 quart casserole, line bottom and side with some bread slices; butter side should be down.
6. In a large mixing bowl, mix together cheese, onion, salt, paprika and remaining mustard until well blended.
7. In a medium saucepan, melt remaining 1/3 cup butter and remove pan from heat.
8. Stir in flour and gradually add milk with constant stirring; bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat.
9. Stir in wine and spoon a little hot mixture into eggs; return the mixture to the saucepan with constant stirring.
10. Layer in the sequence of cheese mixture, remaining bread slices and wine sauce and end with bread slices with butter side up.
11. Cover the dish and refrigerate overnight.
12. Place the dish in the oven and bake for 40 minutes until puffy and top is golden-brown.
13. Serve Baked Swiss Fondue.
The dish will be more flavourful if the dish is put together in the casserole and refrigerated overnight.
Calories 678 Calories from Fat 384
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 44 g67.6%
Saturated Fat 25.8 g129.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 223 mg74.3%
Sodium 747.6 mg31.2%
Total Carbohydrates 41 g13.6%
Dietary Fiber 1.6 g6.4%
Sugars 9.7 g
Protein 27 g54.3%
Vitamin A 35.4% Vitamin C 2.4%
Calcium 62.5% Iron 12.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet