Eggplant Cheese Bake
|Eggplants||1 1⁄4 Pound|
|Canned tomatoes||16 Ounce (1 can)|
|Dried basil||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Mozzarella cheese||1⁄2 Pound|
|Grated parmesan cheese||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
1) Remove stalks from eggplant and cut 'lengthwise in 1/2 inch thick slices.
2) Sprinkle with salt.
3) Leave for 1 hour, then rinse and pat dry.
4) Coat with flour.
5) Preheat the oven to 350°.
6) Peel and finely chop onion.
7) Heat oil in a large skillet and fry eggplant slices on both sides till golden.
8) Drain on paper towels and keep warm.
9) Fry till transparent, adding more oil to pan if necessary.
10) Mash tomatoes and juice and add to pan with seasoning.
11) Cook for 10 minutes.
12) Stir in basil and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
13) Place a layer of eggplant in boiled ovenproof dish.
14) Cover with slices of Mozzarella and spoon on a little tomato sauce.
15) Sprinkle with Parmesan and a pinch of salt.
16) Repeat layering, ending with Parmesan.
17) Sprinkle a little oil over surface and bake for 15 minutes or until top begins to brown.
18) Serve the cheesy eggplant as main dish.