Goat Cheese Toasts with Olivada
|Chevre||1 Ounce (French Goat Cheese, at room temperature)|
|Part skim ricotta cheese||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chopped chives||1 Tablespoon|
|Chopped fresh basil leaves/1/2 teaspoon dried basil||1 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Pitted black olives||12 , minced|
|Capers||1 Teaspoon, rinsed and drained|
|Red wine vinegar||1 Teaspoon|
|Olive oil||2 Teaspoon|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|French bread||2 Ounce, diagonally cut into 12 equal slices|
1) Combine together the cheese, chives and basil in a small mixing bowl. Mix well and keep aside.
2) In a different small bowl, combine together the capers, olives and vinegar. Stir well and set aside.
3) Combine together the oil and garlic in a small non-stick skillet and cook over moderate heat. Keep swirling the oil in the pan occasionally to prevent the garlic from burning. Cook for about 1 to 2 minutes, till the garlic is golden in color.
4) Remove the skillet from the heat and set it aside.
5) Arrange the bread slices on a baking sheet, in a single later.
6) Broil about 5 to 6 inches from the heat source till the slices are golden brown.
7) Once done, turn the bread over and, with the help of a pastry brush, lightly brush each side of the bread with an equal amount of the garlic-oil mixture. Ensure that the entire mixture is used.
8) Over each bread slice, spread an equal amount of the cheese mixture.
9) Broil once again for about a minute or two, till the cheese has melted.
10) With an equal amount of the olive mixture, top each slice of the bread.
11) Serve the bread slices while still warm or cool for a bit and serve at room temperature. Makes a good appetizer as well as snack.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 561 Calories from Fat 293
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 34 g52.3%
Saturated Fat 11.7 g58.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 48.8 mg16.3%
Sodium 943.6 mg39.3%
Total Carbohydrates 42 g14%
Dietary Fiber 2.1 g8.3%
Sugars 2.6 g
Protein 24 g47.6%
Vitamin A 43.5% Vitamin C 22.1%
Calcium 51.3% Iron 20.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet