Fried Cheese Squares
|Shredded gruyere cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Freshly grated parmesan cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cayenne pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Grated nutmeg||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|White sauce||2 Cup (32 tbs) (But Double The Quantities Called For)|
|Peanut oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Eggs||3 , lightly beaten|
|Flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Fresh bread crumbs||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For Frying)|
|Parsley sprig||12 , washed and thoroughly dried|
1) Into the white sauce, stir the Parmesan, Gruyere, cayenne pepper, egg yolks, nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.
2) On low heat, put the sauce and cook, constantly stirring, till it thickens. Ensure that the sauce does not boil.
3) Remove the sauce from the heat.
4) Liberally grease a 13x9-inch or a 9-inch square baking pan with butter.
5) Pour the sauce into the pan and cover it with buttered wan paper.
6) Place the mixture in the refrigerator overnight or longer if required. The mixture will become very firm.
7) Preheat the oil or fat to be used for frying to temperature of 375 degrees.
8) Take the mixture out of the fridge and cut it into rectangles, squares or diamond shapes.
9) Beat the peanut oil, salt and pepper to taste and water into the eggs.
10) Use flour to coat the croquettes on all the sides and dip them into the egg mixture. Shake off the excess mixture, if any.
11) Next, coat the croquettes on all sides with the bread crumbs. With the flat side of a knife, tap the croquettes lightly so that the crumbs adhere better.
12) In the preheated oil or fat, fry the croquettes till they are golden in color.
13) Drain the preparation on kitchen towelling.
14) To serve, place the croquettes on a decorative serving platter or individual serving plates. Quickly deep fry the parsley and use it as garnish. Serve the preparation while it is still hot.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 6609 Calories from Fat 5444
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 616 g948%
Saturated Fat 127.6 g638%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1826.8 mg608.9%
Sodium 5415.9 mg225.7%
Total Carbohydrates 139 g46.3%
Dietary Fiber 5.5 g22%
Sugars 32.5 g
Protein 143 g286.3%
Vitamin A 116.8% Vitamin C 38.7%
Calcium 348.8% Iron 81%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet