Cottage Cheese Dumplings Moravian Style
|Quark cheese/Farmer cheese||14 Ounce, drained|
|Butter||12 Tablespoon, 5 tablespoons softened and the remaining 7 tablespoons melted|
|Eggs||3 , lightly beaten|
|Milk||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Pumpernickel bread slices||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), grated|
1) In a bowl, place the cheese and gradually beat in the eggs, a pinch of salt and the softened butter.
2) Add the milk, alternately with flour, till a soft dough is obtained. The end quantity of the dough will depend on the consistency of the cheese.
3) Put water in a large saucepan and boil it.
4) Once the dough is thoroughly mixed, use a spoon dipped in cold water to form it into small dumplings. The dough will not stick to this spoon.
5) For every dumpling, scoop out a bit of the dough and drop it in boiling water.
6) Let the dough boil for about 10 minutes.
7) Once the dumplings rise to the surface, remove one from the water and cut it in half to ensure that the dumplings have cooked thoroughly.
8) Once the dumplings have all cooked, drain them and use grated pumpernickel to sprinkle them with.
9) All over the dumplings, pour the melted butter.
10) Serve the dumplings right away, while they are still hot. Place on a decorative serving platter and serve as a light appetizer or snack.