Potato, Onion, Spinach, and Goat Cheese Calzones
|Warm water||2 Cup (32 tbs) (About 95Ã‚Â°F)|
|Active dry yeast||1 Tablespoon|
|Unbleached all purpose flour||5 1⁄2 Cup (88 tbs)|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Russet potatoes||3 Medium, scrubbed, dried and sliced into 1/8 inch rounds|
|Spanish onion||2 Medium, peeled and thinly sliced|
|Finely chopped spinach||1 Pound, washed and drained|
|Goat cheese||8 Ounce, Cut into 6 pieces|
|Corn meal||4 Tablespoon|
1) Preheat the oven to 450Â°F.
2) In a large mixing bowl, stir the water, sugar and yeast to dissolve, allow to stand for 5 minutes.
3) Stir in the olive oil, 2 cups flour and salt with a wooden spoon for 3 minutes. Allow the mixture to rest for 15 minutes.
4) Stir in another 2 cups of flour and stir the dough for another 3 minutes.
5) On a floured surface, knead the dough for about 10 minutes until it is soft, smooth and elastic.
6) Coat a large bowl, with the olive oil, roll the dough in the oil to coat, tightly cover the bowl with plastic wrap and keep in a warm place to rise.
7) In Dutch oven, saute the potatoes in 1 tablespoon olive oil over a high heat. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper, stir frequently and cook for 2 minutes.
8) In a baking tray, transfer the potatoes and roast in the oven until slightly crisp. Remove and keep aside.
9) In 1 tablespoon of olive oil, saute the onions over a medium heat, stirring frequently until very soft. Stir in the sugar and saute the onions for about 3 minutes, until caramelized.
10) Stir in the spinach and cook until the spinach is soft, keep the onion-spinach mixture aside.
11) Deflate the dough when doubled in bulk, then allow the dough to rest for 5 minutes.
12) In 2 heavy baking sheets, sprinkle the corn meal. Divide the dough into 6 equal balls, lightly flatten and place under a towel until needed.
13) On a lightly floured work surface, roll 1 ball of dough into a 12 x 7-inch oval and place on a baking sheet.
14) Spread a layer of potatoes on 1/2 of the dough leaving a 1/2-inch border around the edge. Then a layer of some onions and spinach and top with some goat cheese.
15) Fold the other half of the dough over the filling, seal the edges, crimp with a fork, and prick the top in 2-3 places.
16) Repeat with the remaining 5 balls of dough and the rest of the filling.
17) Bake the calzones in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes until golden.
18) Serve immediately on individual serving plates.
Calories 832 Calories from Fat 180
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 21 g31.6%
Saturated Fat 10.3 g51.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 39.7 mg13.2%
Sodium 274.2 mg11.4%
Total Carbohydrates 131 g43.8%
Dietary Fiber 8.3 g33.3%
Sugars 9.8 g
Protein 30 g60.9%
Vitamin A 155% Vitamin C 50.9%
Calcium 46.1% Iron 55.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet