Layered Leeks And Potatoes Baked With Cheese And Cream
|Potatoes||2 Pound (900 Gram)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm)|
|Butter||2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
|Eggs||2 , beaten|
|Double cream||1⁄2 Pint (300 Milliliter)|
|Sea salt||To Taste|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Black pepper||To Taste, freshly ground|
|Nutmeg||1⁄2 Teaspoon, freshly grated|
|Freshly grated nutmeg||To Taste|
|Gruyere cheese||5 Ounce, grated (150 Gram)|
1. Wash and clean the potatoes
2. Cut into thin slices, 1/4-inch (5 mm) thick
3. In a large pan, heat 1/2 pint (300 ml / 1 1/3 cups) water and salt it
4. Add the potatoes to the water and scald them for four minutes
5. Drain well
6. Clean the leeks by trimming most of the green part off.
7. Split the remaining greens and run a lot of cold water on top of the greens to clean them or grit well
8. Boil for 8 minutes, drain and gently squeeze out excess moisture without crushing the leeks
9. Prepare a large earthenware baking dish by rubbing it with a cut clove of garlic or with both cloves of garlic.
10. Butter the dish very thickly
11. In a large bowl, tip the eggs and the cream
12. Mix the eggs well and season it with salt, pepper and nutmeg
13. Add the remaining crushed garlic
14. In the same earthenware dish, arrange half the potato slices in an overlapping pattern at the bottom of the dish.
15. Tip in half of the egg and cream mixture on it
16. Sprinkle half the cheese on top of it
17. Arrange the leeks on top of it. Fold the leeks if required to make them fit
18. Add the potatoes on top of the leeks and cover the rest of the egg and cream mixture and the rest of the cheese
19. Bake for 1 hour at 375°F/190°C (Gas Mark 5)
20. Serve in its dish hot.