Aubergine Eggplant Topped With Gruyere Cheese
|Sea salt||To Taste|
|Wholemeal flour||4 Ounce, seasoned with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper (100 Gram)|
|Ground black pepper||To Taste, seasoned|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), crushed|
|Olive oil||2 Pint (1.15 Liters For Deep Frying)|
|Gruyere cheese||1⁄2 Pound, thinly sliced (225 Gram)|
1. Cut the aubergines lengthwise into slices that are 5mm thick or ¼-inch thick
2. Sprinkle each slice with salt and set aside for 25 minutes
3. The slices will exude bitter juice that is to be discarded. Wash and dry the slices and pat dry.
4. In a large bowl, mix the seasoned flour with the finely crushed clove of garlic
5. Dip each individual eggplant slice into the flour till well coated
6. Shake off excess and set aside
7. Meanwhile, in a deep pan, heat the oil till hot
8. Dip the floured aubergines in the hot oil and fry the slices for one minute till cooked through
9. Drain well on kitchen paper
10. Lay the aubergine (eggplant) slices out in a single layer on a flat tray and place a slice of cheese on each one.
11. Grill until the cheese is golden and serve at once.
12. Serve hot with sour cream as an accompaniment