|Grated cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Red pepper||1 Pinch|
|Curry powder||1 Teaspoon|
1. Preheat the oven to 375° F
2. Lightly grease a baking tray with oil or butter and dust with flour.
3. Into a large basin, sift together the flour, baking powder and spices.
4. Cut in the cheese and butter until mixture resembles crumbs.
5. Add the egg yolk to the dry ingredients.
6. Use a wooden spoon or a plastic spatula to bind the mixture together, adding milk or cold water to make a dough.
7. Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface.
8. Roll the dough into a ¼-inch thick sheet.
9. Cut into inch thick and 6 inch long strips
10. Lightly twist the strips and arrange on the baking sheet.
11. Bake in the preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes until golden brown
12. Remove from oven and slide on to a wire rack. Allow the cheese straws to cool.
13. Serve enjoy as a snack, with tea while still warm.