Prosciutto-Wrapped Asparagus with Goat Cheese and Mushroom Salad
|Asparagus stalks||16 , trimmed and peeled|
|Prosciutto ham slices||4 , sliced thin|
|Baby greens||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Goat cheese slices||4 Ounce (4 Slices, 1 Ounce Each)|
|Fresh ground black pepper||To Taste|
|For mushroom salad|
|Olive oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Shiitake mushrooms||1 Cup (16 tbs), sliced|
|Portabella mushrooms||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), sliced|
|Fresh garlic||1 Teaspoon, chopped|
|Fresh basil||2 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Balsamic vinegar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Fill a small saucepan halfway with water and bring to a boil. Add the asparagus and poach quickly, cooking about 3 minutes so that the asparagus are cooked al dente.
2. Remove from heat and submerge the asparagus into a bath of cold water and ice. Place on a towel and pat dry.
3. Place one slice of Prosciutto on a flat surface. Place 3 to 4 asparagus stalks on the outer edge of the ham, and roll the ham around the asparagus. Repeat with the other 3 slices of ham.
4. On each serving plate arrange a small bed of greens in the center. Arrange the asparagus bundle on top of greens, and garnish with mushroom salad (recipe below). Add a slice of goat cheese on top of or leaning on the asparagus. Season with freshly ground black pepper. Serve.
Directions for Mushroom Salad
1. Heat a medium sauté pan over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, then add the mushrooms and garlic and sauté until just tender.
2. Add the basil and continue to cook for 1 minute. Add 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar and stir all ingredients to mix.
3. Remove from heat. Place the mushrooms in a bowl, add the remaining olive oil and vinegar, and mix. Season with pepper. Refrigerate until chilled.
4. Mix lightly before serving.
For more seasonal recipes like this, you can purchase Cooking Close to Home: A Year of Seasonal Recipes by clicking here
Calories 329 Calories from Fat 220
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 25 g38.2%
Saturated Fat 9.2 g46.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 33 mg11%
Sodium 302.1 mg12.6%
Total Carbohydrates 13 g4.3%
Dietary Fiber 3.2 g12.8%
Sugars 6 g
Protein 15 g30.5%
Vitamin A 50% Vitamin C 18.6%
Calcium 30.8% Iron 19.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet