Yogurt Cheese In Olive Oil
|Greek sheep yogurt||1 3⁄4 Pound (750 Gram)|
|Crushed dried chilies/Chili powder||10 Milliliter|
|Chopped fresh rosemary||15 Milliliter (1 Tablespoon)|
|Chopped fresh thyme/Oregano||15 Milliliter (1 Tablespoon)|
|Olive oil||1⁄2 Pint (500 Milliliter / 1 1/4 Cups, Preferably Garlic Flavored)|
1. Sterilize a 30 cm / 12 in square of muslin by steeping it in boiling water. Drain and lay over a large plate. Mix the yogurt with the salt and tip on to the centre of the muslin. Bring up the sides of the muslin and tie firmly with string.
2. Hang the bag on a kitchen cupboard handle or suitable position where the bag can be suspended with a bowl underneath to catch the whey. Leave for 2-3 days until the yogurt stops dripping.
3. Sterilize two 450 g / 1 lb glass preserving or jam jars by heating them in the oven at 150°C/ 300°F/Gas 2 for 15 minutes.
4. Mix together the chilli and herbs. Take teaspoonfuls of the cheese and roll into balls with your hands. Lower into the jars, sprinkling each layer with the herb mixture.
5. Pour the oil over the cheese until completely covered. Store in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.
6. To serve the cheese, spoon out of the jars with a little of the flavoured olive oil and spread on to lightly toasted bread.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2609 Calories from Fat 2136
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 242 g371.9%
Saturated Fat 33.7 g168.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1221.4 mg50.9%
Total Carbohydrates 46 g15.5%
Dietary Fiber 7.1 g28.3%
Sugars 36.8 g
Protein 72 g144.8%
Vitamin A 76% Vitamin C 50.7%
Calcium 104.9% Iron 30.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet