|All purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Ground red pepper||To Taste|
|Butter/Margarine||1 Cup (16 tbs) (2 Sticks)|
|Cheddar cheese||8 Ounce, shredded|
|Ice water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. In large bowl, with fork, combine flour, salt, and 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper. With pastry blender or two knives used scissors fashion, cut in butter or margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
2. With fork, stir in cheese and water just until mixture forms a soft dough and leaves side of bowl. On lightly floured surface, with floured hands, pat dough into 6" by 6" square. Wrap dough with plastic wrap and chill in freezer for 30 minutes for easier handling.
3. On lightly floured surface, roll chilled dough into 18" by 8" rectangle. Starting from one 8-inch end, fold one-third of dough over middle one-third; fold opposite one-third over both to make 6" by 8" rectangle.
4. Repeat rolling and folding as in step 3. Wrap in plastic wrap; freeze 30 minutes again.
5. Preheat oven to 375°F. Remove dough from freezer; roll and fold as in step 3 again. Then, roll dough into 18" by 12" rectangle. Sprinkle dough rectangle lightly with ground red pepper; cut lengthwise in half. Cut each half crosswise into thirty-six 6" by 1/2 strips.
6. Place strips 1/2 inch apart on ungreased large cookie sheets, twisting each strip twice and pressing ends against cookie sheet (this prevents strips from uncurling during baking).
7. Bake cheese straws 15 minutes or until golden; remove from cookie sheets; cool on wire racks. Store in tightly covered container.