Savory Cauliflower Cheese
|Cauliflower||2 Pound (1 Kilogram)|
|Butter/Margarine||1 Ounce (25 Gram)|
|Streaky bacon||4 Ounce (100 Gram)|
|Mushrooms||4 Ounce (100 Gram)|
|Butter/Margarine||1 1⁄2 Ounce (40 Gram)|
|Plain flour||1 Ounce (25 Gram)|
|Milk||1⁄4 Pint (150 Milliliter)|
|Grated parmesan cheese||1 Ounce (25 Gram)|
|Browned breadcrumbs||1 Tablespoon|
1. Wash and trim the cauliflower, remove the thick stalk and divide into sprigs.
2. Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and cook the cauliflower until just crisp.
3. Drain the cauliflower, reserving 150 ml/ 1/4 pint of the liquor.
4. Prepare and chop the onion.
5. Melt the butter or margarine, add the onion and cook slowly until soft without browning.
6. Remove rind from the bacon and cut into pieces, add to the onion.
7. Wash and chop the mushrooms.
8. Add to the onion and cook for 3 minutes.
9. Stir in seasoning and spread mixture over the base of an ovenproof dish.
10. Arrange the drained cauliflower over the top.
11. To make the sauce, melt the butter or margarine in a saucepan, add the flour and cook gently for 2 minutes.
12. Mix the milk and reserved cauliflower water together and gradually add to the flour, blending in well with each addition.
13. Bring to the boil, stirring, and cook for 3 minutes.
14. Season the sauce and pour over the cauliflower.
15. Sprinkle with the cheese and crumbs; place the dish under a preheated grill to brown lightly.