Lasagna casserole is an oven baked savory dish consisting of lasagna as the key ingredient, which is often combined with several vegetables, meat, seasonings, spices, and cheese, to prepare a flavorful casserole. At times, seafood is also used as one of the ingredients of the casserole. Most of the recipes are non-vegan which suggest the use of some form of meat like beef or chicken, along with lasagna and other ingredients to prepare the casserole; however a few vegan versions of the casserole are also available which are made with assorted vegetables, cheese, and lasagna.
The key ingredient, i.e. lasagna, refers to pasta or noodles, which belongs to Italian cuisine, and is normally served with alternate layers of sauce (of any type) and cheese.
Commonly Used Ingredients and Preparation Overview of Lasagna Casseroles
The ingredients used to prepare lasagna casserole may vary according to the recipe, an example of which suggests the use of ground beef, minced onions, tomato sauce, basil, oregano, garlic powder, salt, cottage cheese, pasta, and cheese (cheddar cheese or mozzarella cheese or a blend of both).
The preparation process suggests browning together onions and ground beef, and then adding basil, tomato sauce, garlic powder, salt, and oregano to the mix. Boiled pasta and cheese are then stirred into the meat based sauce, and the entire material is transferred into a baking dish, and baked after topping it with some shredded cheese.
Lasagna Casserole Recipe Variations
Among several recipe variations of lasagna based casserole, a few of them have been discussed below:
- Chicken lasagna casserole- this is a layered casserole prepared by spreading a layer of noodle mix (milk, cream cheese and cooked noodles) at the bottom of a greased casserole saucier, followed by spreading chicken mixture (a mix of cooked chicken, onions, spaghetti sauce, and tomato sauce) over noodles, and then baking the casserole after topping it with mozzarella cheese.
- Creamy variant- the creamy lasagna casserole recipe variant suggests the use of cream cheese, (prepared by combining together sour cream and cheddar cheese), along with other ingredients like ground beef, tomato sauce, onions, garlic powder, salt, pepper, green onions, and noodles.
- Breakfast lasagna casserole- this is also a layered casserole, which is made by lining the baking pan with thawed hash brown potatoes, followed by sprinkling seasonings and cheese, and spreading vegetable mix (mushrooms, peppers, and onions) over the potatoes. Thereafter, lightly browned Canadian bacon slices are arranged over vegetable mix, followed by sprinkling shredded cheese over bacon, and the entire casserole is coated with a mix of eggs, salt, pepper, and milk, before baking it in oven. .
- Tuna lasagna casserole- this casserole combines lasagna noodles with tuna, butter, flour, chicken broth, soda crackers, Italian seasoning, mixed vegetables, egg white, salt, pepper, and cheese.
- Vegan variant- the vegan recipe suggests using summer squash, zucchini, kosher salt, red bell peppers, olives, thyme leaves, red pepper flakes, tomato sauce, low fat cheese, parmesan cheese, and black pepper to prepare the casserole.
The lasagna casserole can be frozen for a day, and then allowed to thaw in fridge for a day or two before baking it in oven.