Spicy Chipotle Macaroni & Cheese
|Butter||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|White onion||1 Small, chopped|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm), minced|
|Flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chipotle and adobo sauce||2 Medium, chopped|
|Milk||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Ground cumin||1 Teaspoon|
|Cheddar cheese||2 Cup (32 tbs), shredded|
|Monterey jack cheese/Edam cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs), shredded|
|Macaroni||12 Ounce, cooked|
|Bread crumbs||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Parmesan cheese||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), grated|
|Parsley||1 Tablespoon, chopped|
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the bread crumbs, Parmesan and parsley.
3. In a large skillet, preferably oven proof, melt the butter. Add the onion and garlic and cook for a couple of minutes.
4. Put the flour and cook for 3 to 4 more minutes, whisking constantly.
5. Add the chipotle and mix well. Slowly pour the milk, constantly whisking (vigorously) to avoid flour lumps.
6. Put the cumin and whisk constantly until sauce starts to thicken.
7. Add the cheeses and mix until fully incorporated and melted.
8. Taste for salt and adjust as necessary. Season with black pepper and mix well.
9. If working with an oven proof skillet, top the macaroni with the bread crumbs. (If not, transfer the macaroni and cheese to a casserole dish and top it with the bread crumbs).
10. Place skillet or dish in the oven and bake for 40 to 45 minutes.
11. In a serving plate, garnish with more cheese and serve this hot with any main dish or enjoy as it is.
Calories 532 Calories from Fat 240
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 28 g42.7%
Saturated Fat 16.5 g82.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 81.6 mg27.2%
Sodium 473.2 mg19.7%
Total Carbohydrates 47 g15.6%
Dietary Fiber 2.1 g8.3%
Sugars 8.4 g
Protein 24 g48.2%
Vitamin A 20.4% Vitamin C 7.8%
Calcium 55.9% Iron 13.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet