The Sexy Vegan's Green Bean Casserole
|Cashews||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Water||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Green beans||1⁄2 Pound|
|Leek||1 Large, chop|
|Vegan butter||2 Tablespoon|
|Spinach||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Vegetable stock||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Nutritional yeast||1 Teaspoon|
|Olive oil||1 Teaspoon|
|Bread crumbs||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Trim and cut 1/2 pound of green beans.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. In a pan, add 1/2 cup cashews and 1 1/2 cup water and simmer for 10 minutes.
4. In another pan, boil 3-4 cups of water.
5. Drop a pound of cut green beans into the boiling water for a quick blanch of 30 seconds. After 30 seconds, drain the green beans and rinse with cold water.
6. Next, drain the cashews.
7. In a pan, heat 2 tablespoons of fake butter.
8. Add the chopped green parts of one large leek along with a pinch of salt and pepper and let them sweat over medium heat for 7-8 minutes.
9. Remove half of the cooked leaks aside and put in 2 cups of spinach in the pan and let this sweat.
10. In the blender, blend the 1/2 cup of soft cashews, 1/2 cup of vegetable stock, the leeks you removed from the stove, 1 teaspoon of nutritional yeast, and a pinch of salt & pepper.
11. Add the green beans and 1/2 of the cashew mixture into the pan of spinach and leeks and stir.
12. Pour this mixture into a casserole. Cover with aluminium foil and bake in oven at 350 for 25 minutes.
13. For the topping: In a bowl, add 1/2 cup of bread crumbs, 1 teaspoon olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper and mix.
14. After 25 minutes, top the green beans casserole with the bread crumbs and put into broiler for about 5 minutes.
15. Cut out and plate and serve hot.
Blanching the green beans keeps their color and helps not overcook them.
Calories 155 Calories from Fat 73
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 8 g12.8%
Saturated Fat 1.4 g7.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 147.6 mg6.1%
Total Carbohydrates 17 g5.6%
Dietary Fiber 3.4 g13.5%
Sugars 3.8 g
Protein 5 g10.3%
Vitamin A 35.4% Vitamin C 14.4%
Calcium 5.1% Iron 12.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet