Macaroni & Cheese with a twist
|For the topping|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), grated|
|Melted unsalted butter||3 Tablespoon|
|Breadcrumbs||2 Cup (32 tbs), coarse and lightly toasted (process 4 or 5 slices good quality bread until coarse crumbs form)|
|Parmigiano reggiano||2 Tablespoon, finely grated|
|For the cheese sauce|
|Unsalted butter||4 Tablespoon|
|Flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Whole milk||3 1⁄2 Cup (56 tbs)|
|Sharp cheddar cheese||8 Ounce, finely grated|
|Parmigiano reggiano||2 Ounce, finely grated|
|Ham||1 Cup (16 tbs), diced|
|Frozen peas||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), thawed|
|Macaroni||1 Pound, cooked|
1. Preheat the oven at 350° F.
2. In a baking pan place the bread crumbs.
3. Stir the garlic into the melted butter. Drizzle the melted butter over the crumbs. Add in the Parmigiano-Reggiano. Toss well with a spoon and set aside.
4. In a heavy-duty 3-to-4 quart saucepan, add in the butter and melt.
5. Whisk in the flour and continue to whisk over low heat for 3 to 4 minutes.
6. Slowly add in the milk, whisking constantly. Whisk until the sauce is smooth and slightly thickened.
7. Raise the heat to medium and bring the sauce to a simmer, whisking constantly.
8. Lower the heat to maintain a gently simmer and cook, whisking occasionally, for 10 minutes.
9. Remove the sauce from the heat and gently whisk in both the cheeses.
10. In large bowl add in the macaroni, white sauce, ham and peas. Mix well with the spatula.
11. Transfer the mixture to a 9-x-13 baking dish, top with the crumb mixture and bake for 15 minutes.
12. Serve Macaroni & Cheese with green salad.