Cooking demonstration with professional cooking teacher and former caterer Betty Bannerman Busciglio. In this episode she makes a version of the old favorite Macaroni & Cheese that includes ham and peas in the special sauce with a bread crumb topping.
For the topping
1 Clove (5 gm), grated
Melted unsalted butter
2 Cup (32 tbs), coarse and lightly toasted (process 4 or 5 slices good quality bread until coarse crumbs form)
2 Tablespoon, finely grated
For the cheese sauce
1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)
3 1⁄2 Cup (56 tbs)
Sharp cheddar cheese
8 Ounce, finely grated
2 Ounce, finely grated
1 Cup (16 tbs), diced
1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), thawed
1 Pound, cooked
1. Preheat the oven at 350° F.
2. In a baking pan place the bread crumbs.
3. Stir the garlic into the melted butter. Drizzle the melted butter over the crumbs. Add in the Parmigiano-Reggiano. Toss well with a spoon and set aside.
4. In a heavy-duty 3-to-4 quart saucepan, add in the butter and melt.
5. Whisk in the flour and continue to whisk over low heat for 3 to 4 minutes.
6. Slowly add in the milk, whisking constantly. Whisk until the sauce is smooth and slightly thickened.
7. Raise the heat to medium and bring the sauce to a simmer, whisking constantly.
8. Lower the heat to maintain a gently simmer and cook, whisking occasionally, for 10 minutes.
9. Remove the sauce from the heat and gently whisk in both the cheeses.
10. In large bowl add in the macaroni, white sauce, ham and peas. Mix well with the spatula.
11. Transfer the mixture to a 9-x-13 baking dish, top with the crumb mixture and bake for 15 minutes.
12. Serve Macaroni & Cheese with green salad.
Macaroni and Cheese with Ham and Peas is Betty's version of the regular mac and cheese. If you love this combination, you will definitely love this recipe. Her white sauce is excellent and creates a lot of difference to the dish. Watch this video and give it a go.