Piquant Pork Casserole
|Cooking oil||60 Milliliter (4 tablespoon)|
|Onion||1 Large, peeled and roughly chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), crushed|
|Pork shoulder||750 Gram, trimmed and cubed|
|Condensed consomme||298 Gram (1 can)|
|Brown stock/Water and 1/2 beef stock cube||150 Milliliter|
|Tomato puree||30 Milliliter (2 tablespoon)|
|Brown sugar||15 Milliliter (1 tablespoon)|
|Malt vinegar||15 Milliliter (1 tablespoon)|
|Red pepper||1 , cored, seeded and sliced|
|Caraway seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Cornflour||15 Milliliter (1 tablespoon)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (adjust quantity as needed)|
1) Arrange the ingredients.
2) In a cooker, heat oil.
3) Add the onion and garlic and fry until both begin to colour.
4) Take out onion and garlic and drain well.
5) To the hot oil, add the pork and brown quickly and evenly.
6) With a slotted spoon, lift out the pork and drain off any excess oil from the cooker.
7) Keep the cooker, away from the heat add the consomme, stock or water and stock cube and tomato puree to the cooker.
8) Stir well to remove any residues from the base of the cooker.
9) Return the cooker to the heat with the meat, onion, garlic, brown sugar, vinegar, red pepper and caraway seeds.
10) Stir well and add a little salt and pepper.
11) Place the lid to close the cooker, bring to high pressure and cook for 15 minutes.
12) Reduce the pressure quickly.
13) Blend the cornflour with a little cold water.
14) Again place the open cooker to the heat.
15) Add the cornflour and stir constantly until the sauce is boiling and thickened.
16) Simmer for 1 minute.
17) Taste the sauce and adjust the seasoning.
18) Serve the pork casserole with some bread and green salad.
Calories 607 Calories from Fat 366
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 41 g63.1%
Saturated Fat 10.3 g51.7%
Trans Fat 0.2 g
Cholesterol 116.3 mg38.8%
Sodium 865.1 mg36%
Total Carbohydrates 22 g7.5%
Dietary Fiber 2.7 g10.9%
Sugars 10.5 g
Protein 37 g73.4%
Vitamin A 21% Vitamin C 79.4%
Calcium 6.4% Iron 15.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet