Chicken Casserole With Dumplings
|Frying chicken||2 1⁄2 Pound, washed (1 no.)|
|Corn flour||1 Ounce|
|Corn oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Carrots||4 Small, diced|
|Onion||1 , sliced|
|Chicken stock cube||1|
|Boiling water||1 Pint|
|Tomato puree/Concentrated tube||3⁄4 Can (7.5 oz) (1 small can)|
|White wine||2 Tablespoon (optional)|
|Mushrooms||4 Ounce, sliced|
|Green peas||3 Tablespoon, cooked|
|Parsley||3 Tablespoon, chopped (for garnish)|
|Plain flour||3 Ounce|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Corn flour||1⁄2 Ounce|
|Corn oil||1 Tablespoon|
1) Preheat the oven to 350F.
2) Mix together the salt, cornflour and pepper. Sprinkle over the chicken joints to coat well on all sides.
3) In a frying pan, heat the corn oil.
4) Add in the chicken joints and saute till brown.
5) Transfer the chicken into a casserole along with the carrots and onion.
6) In a pot of 1 pint of boiling water, dissolve the chicken cube. Add in the can or tube of tomato puree. Mix in the wine as well.
7) Pour the above mixture over the chicken and vegetables in the casserole.
8) Cover the casserole and cook in the middle rack of the oven for 30 minutes.
9) Stir in the mushrooms and peas and cook for 30 more minutes.
10) Meanwhile, prepare the dumplings. Sift together the flour, baking powder and cornflour.
11) Pour in the oil and milk gradually. Mix to a smooth dough. Add in more milk if required.
12) Shape the dough into small balls with floured hands.
13) Arrange the dumplings in a single file on the steamer rack. Leave enough space between each dumpling for them to expand.
14) Steam the dumplings over a pot of hot, boiling water.
15) To serve, spoon the chicken and vegetable stew into a deep serving dish. Place the steamed dumplings over the stew.
16) Garnish with chopped parsley on top.