Cheesy, hearty and so easy to make, this casserole is perfect for breakfast or brunch, and will satisfy a house full of hungry guests!
16 Ounce, thawed (frozen and packaged)
1 Medium, chopped and divided
Ground pork sausage
1 Pound, browned and drained
Green pepper/Red pepper
1 Medium, chopped
4 Ounce, drained (can)
Shredded cheddar cheese
1 Cup (16 tbs)
1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)
Salt and pepper
To Taste (Optional)
1. In a bowl, beat together eggs, milk and seasonings.
2. In a lightly greased 9"x9" baking pan, spread hash browns.
3. Make the layers of half the onion, sausage, remaining onion, green pepper, mushrooms and cheese.
4. Stream egg mixture all over the top of casserole and cover with aluminium foil and refrigerate overnight.
5. Next morning, bake, covered, in preheated oven at 350 F for 45 to 60 minutes.
6. Remove the foil and bake for 15 minutes more, or until golden and a knife inserted in centre comes out clean.
7. Remove from the oven and leave to rest for 5 minutes.
8. Serve hot as desired.
To make southwestern version leave out the mushrooms and add black olives, monterey jack cheese and serve with sauce on the side.