|Onion||1 , peeled and minced|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), peeled and minced|
|Sausage meat||1⁄2 Pound|
|Granulated sugar||2 Teaspoon|
|Bread crumbs||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), unflavored|
|Soy sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Minced parsley||3 Tablespoon|
|Tomatoes||6 , stemmed and cut into thick slices|
|Bread crumbs||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Butter||1 Tablespoon (adjust quantity as needed)|
1) Over medium heat, place a medium skillet and melt the butter.
2) Saute the garlic and onion in the butter till the onion starts to brown.
3) Add the salt, sausage meat and sugar and sautÃ© for another 3 minutes.
4) To the skillet, add ¾ cup breadcrumbs and use water mixed with soy sauce to moisten.
5) Mix well and take the mixture off the heat.
6) Sprinkle parsley all over.
7) Use butter to grease the sides and bottom of a slow cooker.
8) On the bottom, place 1/3rd of the tomato slices and then add a layer of the breadcrumbs and onion mixture.
9) Repeat the layers till all the ingredients have been used up. End with a layer of tomatoes.
10) Cover the cooker and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours.
11) When it is time to serve, heat the broiler to medium and then the tomato into an oven-proof baking dish. Sprinkle thickly with the bread crumbs and broil till the crumbs have turned brown in color.
12) Transfer the casserole to a decorative serving platter and serve while still hot. Makes a good main course dish.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1772 Calories from Fat 1220
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 137 g211.4%
Saturated Fat 67 g335%
Trans Fat 0.5 g
Cholesterol 356.8 mg118.9%
Sodium 4764 mg198.5%
Total Carbohydrates 92 g30.5%
Dietary Fiber 14.5 g58.1%
Sugars 38.9 g
Protein 51 g101.5%
Vitamin A 247.2% Vitamin C 278.1%
Calcium 32.5% Iron 58.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet