Chicken and Ham Casserole
|Chicken breasts||3 Pound, halved (3 Breasts)|
|Condensed chicken broth||10 3⁄4 Ounce (1 Can, Undiluted)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (1/2 Stick)|
|Onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Fresh mushrooms||1 Cup (16 tbs), sliced|
|All-purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Ground nutmeg||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Ham slice||3 , baked, halved (1/8 Inch Thick)|
|Parmesan cheese||2 Tablespoon, grated|
|Parsley||2 Tablespoon, chopped|
1. Using a damp cloth, wipe the chicken breasts.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. In a large skillet, bring broth to boiling and add in the chicken breasts; lower the heat, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes until tender.
4. Spoon chicken and reserve broth.
5. In a medium skillet, melt butter and sautÃ© onion and mushrooms for 2 minutes.
6. Remove the skillet from heat and stir in flour, salt and nutmeg.
7. Gradually stir in milk and 1 1/2 cups reserved broth; bring the mixture back to boiling and simmer for another 1 minute and remove from heat.
8. Remove skin from chicken breasts.
9. In a 12-inch oval baking dish, arrange chicken and pour mushroom sauce over chicken breasts.
10. Alternate chicken breasts with ham slices.
11. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese all over the top.
12. Bake uncovered for 15 minutes until cheese is browned.
13. Garnish with chopped parsley and serve immediately.