Barley Vegetable Casserole
|Barley||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Uncooked)|
|Zucchini||3⁄4 Pound (2 Zucchini)|
|Summer squash||3⁄4 Pound (2 Squash)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (1/2 Stick)|
|Onion||2 Cup (32 tbs), sliced|
|Tomatoes||3⁄4 Pound, sliced (2 Small Sized)|
|Cheddar cheese||8 Ounce, grated (2 Cups)|
|Salad oil||2 Tablespoon|
1. Grease a 10 inch, shallow, 2-quart round or oval baking dish.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. Wash summer squash and zucchini and cut diagonally into 1 inch thick slices.
4. Following directions on the package, cook barley; drain.
5. Into the prepared dish, pour the cooked and drained barley.
6. In a large skillet, put together zucchini, summer squash, add 1 teaspoon salt and 1 cup boiling water.
7. Heat and bring the mixture back to boiling; cover and simmer over low heat for 2 minutes.
8. In a colander, drain well and keep aside.
9. In the same skillet, heat butter and oil; sautÃ© onion for about 5 minutes until tender.
10. Over the barley dish, layer tomatoes, half of onion, 1 cup grated cheese, the zucchini and summer squash and finally all the remaining onion and cheese.
11. Cover the dish tightly with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
12. Uncover and bake for another 5 minutes to evaporate remaining liquid.
13. Serve Barley Vegetable Casserole with a heap of green salad.
Calories 268 Calories from Fat 169
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 19 g29.6%
Saturated Fat 9.9 g49.3%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 44.9 mg15%
Sodium 235 mg9.8%
Total Carbohydrates 16 g5.3%
Dietary Fiber 3.6 g14.4%
Sugars 4.7 g
Protein 10 g19.8%
Vitamin A 19.7% Vitamin C 38%
Calcium 23.5% Iron 5.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet