Squash Corn Casserole
|Butternut squash||11 Pound|
|Chopped onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped green pepper||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Canned cream style corn||17 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Coarsely crushed rich round crackers||1 Cup (16 tbs) (21 Crackers)|
|Shredded american cheese||2 Ounce (1/2 Cup)|
|Chopped pimiento||2 Tablespoon|
|Chopped pecans/Chopped walnuts||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Cut the squash into four equal pieces.
2. With a knife, carefully scoop out the seeds and membrane from the pieces.
3. In a large microwaveable casserole, place the squash pieces and water.
4. Cover the casserole and place it in the microwave.
6. In the microwave, cook the squash on 100 per cent power or High for 9 to 11 minutes, till the vegetable is tender. Rearrange the pieces once in between to cook all sides.
7. Take the casserole out of the microwave and drain the squash.
8. Take the squash pieces out of the casserole.
9. With a scooping knife, scoop out the pulp from the squash.
10. With a pulp masher, mash the pulp well and keep aside.
11. In the same casserole, add the onion, green pepper and butter or margarine and mix well together.
12. Cover the casserole and place it back in the microwave.
13. In the microwave, cook the mixture on High for 2 to 3 minutes more, till the vegetables are just tender.
14. Take the casserole out of the microwave and add the mashed squash, com, crushed crackers, cheese, and pimiento.
15.Mix everything well together.
16. Cover the casserole and place it back in the microwave.
17. In the microwave, cook the mixture again on High for 4 1/2 to 6 1/2 minutes more, till it is heated through, stirring once in between.
18. Serve in the casserole itself sprinkled with chopped nuts.
Calories 938 Calories from Fat 180
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 20 g31.3%
Saturated Fat 7.1 g35.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 28.6 mg9.5%
Sodium 871.9 mg36.3%
Total Carbohydrates 190 g63.4%
Dietary Fiber 27.8 g111.4%
Sugars 36.4 g
Protein 23 g45.6%
Vitamin A 2664.2% Vitamin C 481.7%
Calcium 77.3% Iron 54%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet