Black Eyed Pea Casserole
|Dried black eyed peas||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Olive oil/Canola oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Carrots||2 Large, coarsely chopped|
|Onion||2 Large, coarsely chopped|
|Celery stalks||4 , coarsely chopped|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), finely chopped|
|Vegetable stock||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Potatoes||8 Ounce, peeled and cubed|
|Turnips||8 Ounce, peeled and cubed|
|Dried thyme||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dried rosemary||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1. In a stock pot or saucepan, place the peas and cover with cold water.
2. Allow the peas to soak overnight.
3. Drain the peas and keep aside.
4. In a Dutch oven, heat oil over a moderate flame.
5. Add and sauté onions, carrots, celery, and garlic in the oil for 5 to 8 minutes.
6. Add the drained peas, potatoes, turnips and herbs and stir well.
7. Pour in 1 quart water and the stock to the mixture.
8. Bring the liquid to a boil and let boil for 10 minutes.
9. Partially cover the casserole and simmer the peas and vegetables for 45 minutes or until peas are tender.
10. Season the stew with salt and pepper according to taste and let simmer uncovered for another 10 minutes.
11. Serve the peas in a tureen or casserole dish or ladle into individual bowls.
12. Serve with rice or bread.