Sherried Chicken Divan
|Whole chicken breasts||3|
|Fresh broccoli/2 packages, 10-ounce each frozen broccoli||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Whipping cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cooking sherry||3 Tablespoon|
|Grated parmesan cheese||6 Tablespoon (1/4 Cup Plus 2 Tablespoons)|
1) Preheat the oven to 350°.
2) Put the chicken breasts in boiling salted water and cook until tender.
3) Drain the broth but save 2 cups.
4) Allow the chicken breasts to cool so that they can be touched.
5) Remove the skin and slice the breasts thinly to 18 slices and keep aside.
6) Put broccoli in a small amount of boiling salted water and cook it just until crisp-soft.
7) Drain the broccoli well and keep aside.
8) Take a heavy saucepan and melt butter in it over low heat.
9) Stir in flour to this until smooth.
10) Cook the roux for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
11) Slowly add in reserved broth, whipping cream, and sherry and stir.
12) Cook this mixture over medium heat and stir constantly until it is thickened and bubbled.
13) Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
14) Take a lightly greased 13- x 9- x 2-inch glass baking dish and place the cooked broccoli in it and pour over half of sauce.
15) On the top of broccoli, arrange chicken slices.
16) Add 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese into the remaining sauce and stir.
17) Pour this mixture over chicken.
18) Top with 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese.
19) Cook in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes until bubbly.
20) Broil in the broiler for 2 minutes till casserole top is browned delicately.
21) Serve hot.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2176 Calories from Fat 1067
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 120 g185.2%
Saturated Fat 73 g365%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 665.1 mg221.7%
Sodium 3240.4 mg135%
Total Carbohydrates 86 g28.6%
Dietary Fiber 18.5 g74.2%
Sugars 19.1 g
Protein 177 g353.3%
Vitamin A 123% Vitamin C 1021.9%
Calcium 146% Iron 60.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet