M F K Fisher Memorial Cauliflower Casserole
|Cauliflower/2 quarts cauliflower florets||2 1⁄2 Pound (1 Head)|
|Whipping cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Fresh ground pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Shredded gruyere cheese||6 Ounce (1 1/2 Cup)|
1. Break cauliflower into florets, discarding core and leaves. Rinse florets.
2. In a 4- to 5-quart pan over high heat, bring about 3 quarts water to a boil. Add cauliflower and cook until just tender when pierced, 5 to 8 minutes.
3. Drain cauliflower and arrange in a shallow 1 1/2-quart casserole.
4. Add cream to the empty pan and boil over high heat until it's reduced to
1/2 cup, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
5. Drizzle cream over cauliflower, sprinkle with pepper, and cover evenly with cheese.
6. Bake in a 425° oven just until cheese is lightly browned, 4 to 6 minutes. Add salt to taste.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1854 Calories from Fat 1210
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 136 g208.9%
Saturated Fat 85.4 g427%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 518.5 mg172.8%
Sodium 1366.8 mg57%
Total Carbohydrates 76 g25.2%
Dietary Fiber 29 g116.1%
Sugars 41.1 g
Protein 73 g146.9%
Vitamin A 35.3% Vitamin C 877.7%
Calcium 211.3% Iron 33.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet