Cheesy Chicken Divan
|Stewing chicken||5 Pound|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Butter||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Milk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Broccoli||1 1⁄4 Bunch (125 gm) (Or 1 Large Bunch)|
|Grated parmesan cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Hollandaise sauce||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Heavy cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), whipped|
|Worcestershire sauce||1 Teaspoon|
1. Place the chicken on a rack in a large kettle. Add about five cups boiling water and the salt. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, cover and simmer until tender, about three hours. Cool the chicken in the broth.
2. Meanwhile, make white sauce: In a saucepan melt the butter, add the flour and stir with a wire whisk until blended. Bring the milk to a boil and add all at once to the butter-flour mixture, stirring vigorously with the whisk until the sauce is thickened and smooth. Stir in the nutmeg. Keep hot.
3. When the chicken has cooled in the broth, remove the skin and slice the breast and leg meat. Reserve the remainder of the chicken for another purpose.
4. Cook the broccoli in salted water until tender, drain and arrange on a deep heatproof serving platter. Sprinkle lightly with some of the cheese. Arrange the chicken meat on the broccoli.
5. Make the Hollandaise sauce and combine with the white sauce. Add the whipped cream, sherry, and Worcestershire sauce. Pour the sauce over the chicken and broccoli and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
6. Place about five inches below high heat in a preheated broiler and broil until browned and bubbly.