Kung Po Chicken With Cashew Nuts
salt - pinch
Egg white - 1/4
Thick cornflour paste - 2 teaspoons
Seasoned oil - about 1/2 pint (300 ml)
Dried red chilies - 3-4 small, soaked and seeded, chopped
Fresh ginger root - a few small bits
Spring onion - 1, cut into short sections
Green pepper - 1, cored, seeded and cut into small pieces
Yellow bean sauce - 1 tablespoon
Chili bean sauce - 1 teaspoon
Chinese rice wine - 2 teaspoons
Msg (optional) - a pinch
Cashew nuts - 3 oz (85 g), roasted
Sesame oil - a few drops
1. To prepare the chicken cut the chicken meat into small cubes about the size of sugar lumps.
2. In a bowl mix with the salt, egg white and cornflour paste.
3. In a preheated wok heat the oil and blanch the chicken cubes for about 1 minute, stirring to separate the cubes, then remove and drain them.
4. Pour off the excess oil, leaving about 1 tablespoon in the wok, add the chilies, ginger and spring onion.
5. Add the green pepper and stir-fry for about 1 minute.
6. Add the yellow and chili bean sauces, cook for 30 seconds, now add the chicken cubes with the wine and blend well.
7. Finally add the MSG (if using), cashew nuts and sesame oil, stir a few times and serve hot.
Omit the dried chilies and the chili' bean sauce to make Stir-fried Diced Chicken with Cashew Nuts.