Dill Whole Carrots
|Mixed pickling spice||2 Tablespoon|
|Dill seed||2 Teaspoon|
|White vinegar||1 Quart|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm)|
1. Wash carrots and trim ends.
2. Place in large sauce- pan and add boiling water to cover.
3. Bring to boiling reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes just until skins can be easily scraped off without letting it overcook.
4. Drain carrots and let it cool.
5. Then, with paring knife, scrape off skins.
6. Wash and drain carrots again and turn into large bowl.
7. In a bag made of muslin or several layers of cheese- cloth tie pickling spice and dill seed.
8. Place in medium saucepan with vinegar and sugar.
9. Bring to boiling, stirring until sugar is dissolved reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
10. Remove and discard spice bag and pour hot syrup over carrots.
11. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
12. Next day, sterilize two 1-quart jars and leave in hot water until ready to fill.
13. Turn carrots and syrup into large kettle.
14. Bring to boiling and boil, uncovered, 3 minutes.
15. Using tongs, carefully pack carrots in jars, completing one quart at a time.
16. Ladle boiling vinegar mixture over carrots to within 1/2 inch of top, but covering carrots completely.
17. Add garlic and dill sprigs to each jar and cap at once as manufacturer directs.
18. Use as sides or in dishes as desired.
For Dilled Carrot Sticks:
Prepare 3 lb carrots as above, but cut peeled, cooked carrots into strips 3 inches long and 1/4 inch wide.
Continue as directed, but do not boil carrots the next day.
Instead, remove carrots and boil the syrup only.
Pack as directed, using three or four 1-pint jars instead of quart jars.