Brown-Sugar Glazed Carrots and Onions
|Boiling water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|White onions||1 Pound|
|Light brown sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||3 Tablespoon|
1) Slice the carrots diagonally into 1-1/2 inches thick pieces.
2) In 3-quart saucepan, in 1 inch boiling water, boil the onions and carrots with salt.
3) Lower the heat; cover the pan and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, or just until vegetables are tender.
4) Drain them well.
5) Meanwhile, make Glaze by combining sugar and cornstarch in In large skillet.
6) Gradually add 2 tablespoons water to make a smooth mixture.
7) Stir in butter, nutmeg, and lemon juice.
8) Boil the mixture, stirring constantly; for 5 minutes.
9) By this time mixture will be thickened and translucent.
10) Add vegetables to glaze.
11) Without covering, cook the vegetables for, 5 minutes, turning gently so they become glazed on all sides.
12) Serve the glazed onion and carrots as side dish with roasted meats.