Golden Breaded Carrots
|Safflower oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Finely ground bread crumbs||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Wheat germ||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Wash and peel the carrots or beets and cut them into 2 inch long thick strips (batons)
2. Grease a baking sheet with oil or butter.
3. Preheat the oven to 375° F
4. In a mixing bowl, mix together the bread crumbs, wheat germ and spices.
5. In another bowl, toss the carrots or beets with oil so that they are nicely glazed
6. Bread the vegetable batons by tossing them in the bread crumb mixture until they are evenly coated.
7. Arrange the vegetable batons on the greased baking sheet.
8. Place the baking sheet on the middle level of the preheated oven and bake the root vegetable for 1 hour, turning them occasionally, until they are crunchy and golden brown.
9. Remove the tray from the oven and transfer the vegetables onto a warm serving platter.
10. Serve warm as an accompaniment with roasts or grilled meats.