Carrot Dill Almond & Feta Baklava
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Spanish onion||1 Large, thinly sliced|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), finely chopped|
|Carrots||10 Ounce, peeled, halved and thinly sliced (750 Gram)|
|Dill||20 Gram, finely chopped, including the stalks|
|Ground cinnamon||3 Teaspoon|
|Lemon zest||1 Teaspoon|
|Filo pastry sheets/5 large sheets, halved||9 Small|
|Butter||3 Ounce, melted (85 Gram)|
|Blanched almonds||4 Ounce (100 Gram)|
|Feta||9 Ounce, crumbled (200 Gram)|
|Clear honey||1 Tablespoon|
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan, then gently fry the onion over a low heat until soft and golden, about 15 mins. Stir in the garlic, carrots, dill and cinnamon, lemon zest and juice, then cook for another 2 mins. Season with sea salt. Add 800ml water, then simmer over a medium heat, stirring frequently, until most of the liquid has evaporated and carrots are tender.
2. Remove pan from heat, spoon one-third of the carrots into a processor, whizz until smooth, then stir back into the pan.
3. Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Unfold the filo pastry and keep it covered with a damp cloth to prevent it from drying out. Brush a baking tray, about 30 x 20cm, with a little melted butter. Line the tin with a sheet of filo, brush with butter and repeat twice more.
4. Spread half the carrot mixture over the pastry, then sprinkle with half the almonds and feta. Sandwich three layers of buttered filo on top of the carrot mix, as before. Top with the remaining carrot mix, almonds, feta and final 3 sheets filo.
5. Lightly score the top with a knife, cutting into 6-8 diamonds. Can be chilled for up to a day at this point Brush with butter, sprinkle with a little water, then bake for 35 mins until golden. Cool a little, drizzle with honey and serve with the Carrot, coriander & almond salad and Carrot, pumpkin seed & mint labne, right.
Calories 599 Calories from Fat 323
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 37 g57.2%
Saturated Fat 15.4 g77.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 68.3 mg22.8%
Sodium 668.7 mg27.9%
Total Carbohydrates 53 g17.6%
Dietary Fiber 7.2 g28.7%
Sugars 10.8 g
Protein 17 g33.4%
Vitamin A 173.9% Vitamin C 18.2%
Calcium 31.6% Iron 9.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet