Flemish Style Carrots
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Carrots||8 Medium, cut in matchstick strips (Peeled)|
|Boiling water||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Light brown sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Light cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
1. In a large skillet, melt butter over a medium flame.
2. When the butter melts, tip in the carrots and sauté for 12-15 minutes until lightly caramelized and well coated with the butter.
3. In the mean while, beat egg yolks with cream in a bowl and set aside.
4. Pour in the water and sprinkle brown sugar, salt, and mace over the carrots.
5. Cover the pan with its lid and simmer for 8-10 minutes they are tender but still have a bit of crunchiness.
6. Simmer the carrots with the lid of the pan off for 1-2 minutes until moisture has evaporated.
7. Stir in the egg yolks and cream mixture into the carrots
8. Take pan off the heat and sprinkle lemon juice and stir well.
9. Serve the Flemish Style Carrots immediately, while they are hot as they can not be reheated.
Calories 185 Calories from Fat 135
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15 g23.6%
Saturated Fat 9.2 g46%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 104.1 mg34.7%
Sodium 390.1 mg16.3%
Total Carbohydrates 11 g3.8%
Dietary Fiber 2.3 g9.2%
Sugars 6.5 g
Protein 2 g4.2%
Vitamin A 281.9% Vitamin C 10.2%
Calcium 5% Iron 2.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet