Caribbean Salt Cod Fritters
|Pacific salt cod||1⁄2 Pound, soaked overnight (boneless, skinless)|
|All purpose flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Fresh garlic cloves||2 Medium, minced|
|Yellow onion||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped|
|Green onion, tops only||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped|
|Habenero pepper||1⁄2 Medium, seeded/minced|
|Cayenne pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Thyme||1 Teaspoon, ground|
|White pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|Garlic||1 Tablespoon, granulated|
|Mango ginger habenero sauce||2 Cup (32 tbs) (for dipping)|
|Vegetable oil||3 Cup (48 tbs) (for frying)|
1. Add the soaked and drained salt fish to a pot of cold water and bring it to a boil.
2. Cook the fish for 10 minutes, Drain and let it cool. Flake into medium sized pieces.
3. Cut the hot pepper in half, remove seeds and membrane, and chop them finely.
4. Add flour, baking powder and spices into a bowl and mix well.
5. Make a well in the center of the bowl, add the wet ingredients one by one and mix well.
6. Add the onion, green onion, garlic, scotch bonnet pepper and flaked salt cod and gently fold together to blend.
7. Then add the ground allspice and mix well.
8. Set oil temperature at 350 degrees F and slowly spoon the batter into the fryer.
9. Use wooden chopstick to help keep the fritters moving.
10. Drain the fritters on a bed of paper towels
11. On a serving dish serve the Fritters hot and crisp accompanied by a few lemon wedges and a cup of your favorite Caribbean sauce to dip.
Calories 1708 Calories from Fat 1468
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 166 g255.5%
Saturated Fat 21.6 g108.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 21 mg7%
Sodium 240.6 mg10%
Total Carbohydrates 44 g14.5%
Dietary Fiber 2.6 g10.4%
Sugars 0.3 g
Protein 16 g31.6%
Vitamin A 10.3% Vitamin C 13.9%
Calcium 12.9% Iron 17.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet