Home Style Jamaican Chicken
|Chickens||6 Pound, cut into 8 serving pieces each, trimmed of wing tips (2 Chickens, 2 1/2 To 3 Pound Each)|
|Onions||2 Large, coarsely chopped|
|Scallions||6 , sliced crosswise (3 Inches Green Left On)|
|Ripe tomatoes||3 Large, cut into 1/2-inch pieces|
|Capers||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), drained|
|Curry powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon, freshly ground|
|Allspice||1⁄2 Teaspoon, ground|
|Tabasco/Other hot pepper sauce||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Olive oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Red wine vinegar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Fresh thyme sprig||1 (1 Teaspoon Dried Thyme)|
|Fresh chives||2 Tablespoon, snipped (For Garnish)|
1) Set the oven to 350Â°F before baking.
2) Wash the chicken, discarding any excess fat and then dry gently.
3) In a large bowl, arrange the chicken and mix it well with all the ingredients except the chives.
4) Keep it marinated at room temperature for 2 to 3 hours or cover and refrigerate for a whole night.
5) In a roasting pan with 2-inch-high sides, place the marinated chicken pieces in a single layer.
6) Remove the vegetables from the marinade using a slotted spoon and scatter them over the chicken.
7) Using an aluminium foil, cover the roasting pan and seal the edges tightly.
8) Bake the chicken for 1 1/2 hours in preheated oven.
9) Take off the cover and toss the chicken pieces around a bit, turning the dark pieces of meat over.
10) Cover again with the foil and bake for another 30 minutes.
11) To a deep serving platter or shallow bowl, transfer the chicken pieces.
12) Remove the vegetables from the sauce with a slotted spoon and then spread them over the chicken.
13) Pass the sauce through a gravy separator to remove any grease.
14) Moisten the chicken by pouring over some sauce.
15) Garnish the chicken with snipped chives and serve it hot at once with the remaining sauce served separately.
Calories 863 Calories from Fat 527
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 59 g90.1%
Saturated Fat 15.7 g78.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 255.1 mg85%
Sodium 598.8 mg25%
Total Carbohydrates 15 g5.2%
Dietary Fiber 3.4 g13.6%
Sugars 6.7 g
Protein 66 g132.3%
Vitamin A 27.4% Vitamin C 43.2%
Calcium 16.3% Iron 25.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet