Jamaican Jerked Chicken
|Allspice berries||1 Ounce (25 Gram)|
|Cinnamon stick||2 Inch|
|Grated nutmeg||1 Teaspoon|
|Spring onions||4 , thinly sliced|
|Bay leaf||1 , crumbled|
|Dark rum||2 Tablespoon|
|For pineapple chutney|
|Fresh pineapple||2 , peeled and chopped|
|Fresh root ginger||1 Inch, finely chopped|
|Onion||1 , finely chopped|
|Fresh red chilies||1 , deseeded and finely chopped|
|Vinegar||4 Fluid Ounce (125 Milliliter)|
|Dark brown sugar||8 Ounce (250 Gram)|
1. Using a mortar, pound the allspice, cinnamon and nutmeg or powder them using an electric grinder. Add the chili, spring onions, bay leaf and seasoning and pound to a thick paste.
2. Into the paste add rum and mix well.
3. In each chicken piece, make 2 or 3 deep cuts and rub the paste all over.
4. Place it in the refrigerator or a cool place to marinate for about 1-2 hours.
5. For making the pineapple chutney, in a saucepan over moderate heat add in all the ingredients and stir such that the sugar has dissolved.
6. Let it boil, lower the heat a little and cook vigorously, stirring occasionally, such that thick.
7. Into sterilized jars add the chutney and seal.
8. The chutney lasts in the refrigerator for 2-3 weeks.
9. In an oven roast the jerked chicken at 200°C (400°F), Gas Mark 6, for 20-30 minutes or else cook under a grill.
10. Serve the chicken with rice and the pineapple chutney.