Jamaican Style Spicy Beef Patties Part 2: Baking
|Beef suet||3 Cup (48 tbs) (Beef Lard)|
|Crisco||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Butter Flavored)|
|Sifted unbleached flour||4 1⁄2 Cup (72 tbs)|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Medium|
|Yellow coloring||4 Teaspoon|
|Iced water||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|White vinegar||1 Tablespoon|
1. If you can purchase suet that is already processed in that the membrane is taken off and it is in small pieces that resemble small rods, then you can skip steps 2&3. Suet must be frozen while being used.
2. Trim all skin and fatty membrane from suet and set overnight in freezer.
3. Next day, with a very sharp knife shave suet as finely as possible. Food processor works well but suet must be frozen.
4. Combine salt and flour, sugar, yellow color powder. Place flour mixture and suet, shortening in large food processor. Process until mixture has coarse pea sized pieces of fat
5. mix egg, and iced water. Add water mixture in sufficient amount to have a dough which can be rolled out. mix gently just until it comes together. do not over work pastry.
6. Form into a ball and with a rolling pin, pat gently, turning the dough over once or twice in order to have it all properly held together.
7. Set for 2 hours in refrigerator or overnight (wrapped in plastic wrap).
8. Next day, pull off enough dough to mimic the size of a tennis ball
9. Dip dough in flour before rolling.
10. On a floured surface, roll dough quite thin. Dust top lightly with flour and Fold into about 5 layers. Fold in half and roll out again (should be about1/8 inch thick) and cut in a circle. (use saucer for help) In the center of each circle place a spoonful of meat, fold dough over to form a crescent shape seal edges by crimping with fork. Trim excess with knife for professional look. Do not prick the pastry.
11. Bake on un greased tin sheet in a 345 oven for about 35 -45mins or until pastry is lightly browned
12. This recipe will make about 3 dozen regular patties. if cocktail patties are needed, use a smaller cutter than a saucer.
13. Serving 3 dozen regular size patties. Try different fillings for experiment.
This video is a creation of keithcookstv. You can visit keithcookstv for complete recipes, and more videos.