There’s nothing like a bowl of frosty ice cream to cool down on a warm day and nothing more decadent than adding a drizzle of warm caramel sauce on top. This caramel sauce is surprisingly easy to make and much more delicious than store bought.
1 Cup (16 tbs)
Cream of tartar
Light corn syrup
2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)
1. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar with 1/3 cup water, cream of tartar and the corn syrup, stirring with a silicone spatula, until the sugar is dissolved, about 2 minutes.
2. Increase to medium-high heat and cook, undisturbed, until amber-colored, 5 to 7 minutes then remove from the heat instantly.
3. Gradually stir in the cream. Careful, the caramel will boil rapidly and spatter; wear a pair of oven mitts if you like.
4. Then return pan to low heat, stir in the salt, and cook, stirring, until smooth and combined, about 3 minutes.
5. Cool completely and refrigerate.
6. Drizzle over ice cream or pancakes, or stir into iced coffee.
If caramel becomes too stiff in the refrigerator, microwave to rewarm.