Making caramel syrup can be daunting unless you know what you are doing! Here is my foolproof method for making perfect, crystal free, caramel syrup every time.
2 Cup (32 tbs)
1. In a heavy bottom pan, put the sugar, and place the pan on a burner with high heat.
2. Shake the pan a little a couple of times.
3. Reduce the heat to low as soon as the sugar starts melting.
4. Start swirling the sugar inside the pan, swirl, leave alone; swirl, leave alone.
5. Repeat this until all the sugar has melted. Let it brown to your preference (the darker the caramel, the more bitter the sugar will be).
6. Use this for making flan or any other dessert.