Creme Caramel A L'Orange
|Orange rind||1 (Of 1 Orange)|
|Orange juice||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Fresh / Frozen)|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Caramel:)|
1) Grate the orange rind finely and allow it to steep in the orange juice.
2) Warm 4 dariole molds or custard cups but do not butter them.
3) Preheat oven to temperature of 350 degrees
4) To prepare the caramel, put ½ cup sugar in a small heavy bottomed pan along with 2 tablespoons of cold water and gently stir over low heat till the syrup is clear.
5) Turn the heat up and quickly boil without stirring till the syrup turns into a golden caramel color.
6) Into each prepared cup or mold, pour some of the caramel.
7) Quickly twist the molds till they are evenly coated with the caramel.
8) Place a pan over low heat and add the orange juice and grated rind. Heat gently.
9) Whisk together the whole eggs, egg yolks and 2 tablespoons of sugar till the mixture is creamy.
10) Once the orange juice has reached boiling point, strain it into the eggs and stir quickly.
11) Into the prepared cups or molds, pour the orange cream and put them in a roasting pan with 1 inch of hot water.
12) Use buttered waxed paper to cover the molds or cups and bake them in the center of the preheated oven for about 30 minutes or till the mixture has set completely.
13) Take the molds out of the oven and allow them too cool. Chill for at least 2 hours in the fridge.
14) Serve chilled after unmolding the caramel custard onto individual plates. Serve a pitcher of cream on the side.